10 Weird and Wonderful Hair Facts You Probably Didn’t Know

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts” - Jim Morrison


Hair is wonderful, and guys, whether your hair is thick, thin, flat, spritely, or even thinning, it's incredible what a trim and a little styling can do.

From a young age, most of us are blessed with a mane of some sort on our heads, giving us a canvas from which to change our aesthetic, be creative and showcase our personality or mood throughout our lives.

Just stop and let that sink in for a moment.

But, have you ever considered your hair on a deeper, more abstract level? Well, prepare to have your mind blown because these 10 hair facts are about to make your look at your manly mane in a whole new way.


One. When its wet, a strong, healthy strand of hair can stretch an extra 30% of its original length - that's real Stretch Armstrong stuff.

Two. This hair fact may serve to surprise you, but all hair is technically dead, not including the hair that’s still inside the epidermis of your scalp.

Three. Hair consists of 50% carbon, 21% oxygen, 17% nitrogen, 6% hydrogen, and 5% sulphur.

Four. A slightly 'spooky' piece of hair information: goosebumps from the cold or manifested through shock or fear are the result of the hair follicles contracting, causing the hair its surrounding skin to bunch up together.

Five. One of our hair facts that will make you sound superbly smart in a social situation: the scientific term for split ends is actually 'trichoptilosis’.

Six. Balding only starts to become truly visible once you’ve lost over 50% of the hairs on your scalp. For hair styling tips for thinning scalps, check out our tip-top tips

Seven. At any given moment, 90% of the hairs in your scalp are growing, while the other 10% is resting - a solid and sustainable system if ever we saw one.

Eight. One single hair has a lifespan of around five years - a mind-blowing nugget of hair information.

Nine. Hair contains information about everything that has ever passed through your bloodstream, including drugs, and is one of the most commonly used methods of gathering forensic evidence.


Ten. The average number of hair strands varies according to natural color. Based on this notion, blondes have the most and redheads have the fewest strands of hair on their heads.


Fellas, we hope these offbeat hair facts have inspired, amazed, dazzled and if nothing else. offered you a welcome distraction for a short while. If you have any hair facts of your own, please share them with us by leaving a comment.


And, if you’d like to treat your hair to a little r&r, check out our Con Moto DIY hair conditioner recipe especially for men.

Jason Speziale